Friday, March 12, 2010

Exhibitor: Matt Feazell









1) Tell us a little about yourself.
I grew up in Iowa. I went off to college in Illinois at SIU in Carbondale where I majored in Journalism. I didn't do too good at that but I enjoyed working in the production room of the daily student paper. Eventually I started working at real newspapers and ad agencies.



2) Tell us about your comics.
I draw the adventures of The Amazing Cynicalman, America's laid-off superhero. It started off as a series of 8-page minicomics and now it's a newspaper weekly that you can also read on my web site.

3) How long have you been self-publishing?(Is any of your work available in ditto?)
I contributed to Steve Shipley's "Dynamite" ditto-zine back in '73-'74. My first self-published zine was "Fan-Thing" in 1975. I did my first photocopied comics in 1979 and the first issue of Cynicalman ("Not Available Comics" #14) was my first minicomic.

4) Why did you decide to start self-publishing your comics?
Cause it was cool! There was no decision to make. It was just the natural thing to do.

5) Who are your main artistic influences--both in and out of comics?
Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Alex Toth, Hank Ketcham, Charles Schulz, The Clash, Ramones, Talking Heads, Tim Conrad, Woody Allen, Elvis Costello,

6) What comics do you read?
Acme Novelty Library, King Kat Comics, anything self-published that people send me in the mail. That's about it.

7) What are some of your favorite books? (the kind without pictures)
"The History" by Herodotus. "The Outline of World History" by H.G. Wells. Do maps count as pictures?



8) You suprized us at SPACE last year with the Amazing Cynicalman Movie trailer. Is there any news on that project? I wanted to audition for a part but the comute is a killer.
All the latest news is under the "Movie" link on http://www.cynicalman.com/! We just finished shooting the Mom & Dad's Boarding House flashback scene. Jim Mackey and I reprised our roles as John Q. Cynicle and "Dad."

9) Why are either you or Eric Adams always the first one to sign up for SPACE each year?
I guess everybody else has to think about it for a while first. I like being able to pay with a PayPal transfer cause all my money in my Paypal account has come in from sales of minicomics and prints and I prefer to spend it on small press stuff like SPACE.

10) Will you have anything new for SPACE? Or are you working on anything new?
We will be able to show off the first three or four scenes of the Cynicalman movie. The job interview scene intercut with flashbacks of John Q. Cynicle in college at home and at a series of crappy jobs.

11) Why did the chicken cross the road?
To walk in to the bar across the street with a horse and a dog.
The bartender says "we don't serve dogs in here, you'll have to leave."
The dog says, "Come on fellas, let's get out of here."
The chicken and the horse look at each other and say "Whatta ya know, a talking dog!"
_

No comments:

Post a Comment